Monday, July 25, 2011

All You Need to Know About Lead in Paint

Recent studies have shown that lead in paint is the most common way for children and adults suffering from lead poisoning. While lead-based paint is no longer commercially available in the United States, however, poses a problem for people living in houses built during the 1960's or earlier.

It was during the 1940s that lead-based enjoyed immense commercial popularity. At that time, about two thirds of the houses built were painted with lead paint. The lead is played as a drying agent and alkyd paint pigment popular back then. The trend of using lead-based paint continues through the 1960's.

However, studies and discoveries regarding lead paint poisoning led to the United States government to regulate the use of lead in paint. People who live in older homes that have not been renovated or repainted, but remain sensitive.

How poisoning is lead paint

It is the nature of the paint chips and lead dust produced. When lead dust enters the body system, poisoning by lead paint is produced. Lead dust is released into the air and can be breathed in.

Lead dust can also be placed on the surface of food ingested and therefore during food intake. Hand to mouth can cause poisoning by lead paint, especially among children who are in the habit of putting your hands or other objects that may have a holding in the mouth.

The effects of lead paint poisoning

Lead poisoning from paint, as lead poisoning through drinking water is rarely fatal, but can still cause long term damage and irrevocable. Children are more at risk long-term effects of lead paint poisoning.

Lead exposure produce mild symptoms such as nausea, abdominal pain, chest pain, headaches and insomnia. Because exposure to dust created by lead paint continues, adults can develop anemia and nerve damage.

Among children, lead paint poisoning can cause delayed mental development. Be exhibited reduced attention span, poor school performance and low IQ.

Proof of the House of lead in paint

Homeowners should immediately test their homes for lead paint if the house was built in the 1960's or earlier, and not a lot of renovations have been made since then. Lead test kits are available in the market, but homeowners can also send samples to accredited laboratories.

If the paint in your home have shown high levels of lead, the only recourse to prevent lead paint poisoning is old paint removed and replaced. However, a landlord should not do this on your own unless you are fully trained.

The area of ​​the house where lead-based paint must be removed should be quarantined. Children, pregnant or nursing women, and adults with high blood pressure should not be near the work area. Utensils for eating and cooking should be removed from the area as well and not eating or drinking should be done in the workplace.;u=615669